Assignment 10 of the Society of Botanical Artists Distance Learning Diploma was entitled ‘Working from Photographs’. We were supposed to take our own photographs, and create a design in the form of a greetings card or poster. I do incorporate … Continue reading
I have begun a new project, 7 dried roses. I got given this bunch of lovely bright red roses from my boyfriend on returning from Africa (I had been there on a placement for 2 months). They have sat in their vase since August, drying out in the hope of creating an interesting subject!
After my practicing, practicing, practicing with the holly, I knew I wanted to do a full piece (with sufficient still practice of course, but not hours and hours!)
Below is my first attempt at the practice flower. In this case a study was essential, because I really had to look hard at the different colours and textures. The photograph of the rose above doesn’t do the dried petals any favours; the golden glow isn’t visible at all! Infact, when I look closely at the subject there is hardly any of that bright red at all – its amazing how different a photograph can appear!
Next job is to start thinking about a composition, including the other 6 stems!
I have come home, back to Canterbury, for a nice long weekend. And, with little work to do Medicine wise, it was finally time for me to sit down and paint uninterrupted. I noticed the stunning colours in the Virginia Creeper that’s on my Mum’s drive, and so chose this as my subject. Although drawn by the colours… I have started with a study of an unchanged leaf, just to get to grips with the anatomy and get the feel of my paints again! I’ll keep up updating on both the study, and the final piece when I start!
Oh, and the smudge at the top right corner – the reason this became a study. That’s what happens when you have your paints too close to where you’re working… Accidently lean on paint, then lean on work. The worst feeling in the world, and why I usually ALWAYS lean on tracing paper!