Assignment 10 – Working from Photographs

Assignment 10 of the Society of Botanical Artists Distance Learning Diploma was entitled ‘Working from Photographs’. We were supposed to take our own photographs, and create a design in the form of a greetings card or poster. I do incorporate … Continue reading

Assignment 9 – Working in the Field

Assignment 9 of the Society of Botanical Artists Distance Learning Diploma was entitled ‘Working in the Field’. For this assignment we were asked to find a location we liked, any natural habitat, and study, record and illustrate the species that were present. … Continue reading

Jasmine

So, 6 weeks (or so) later I have completed my Jasmine… And most excitingly I have completed all the art diploma work that I will need to whilst also tackling university work; my next assignment (leaves in watercolour) will have my undivided attention!

I thought I would do a short summary of the process of drawing the Jasmine polyanthum. You can see it grow!

ImageImageImage

TWO CLOSE UPS:

ImageImage

THE FINISHED PIECE:

Image

Thank you to everyone on here who gave my advice before starting! I hope you are all satisfied with the result!

Image

 

 

Assignment 1

This afternoon I went to the post office and dropped off my first assignment to be sent to Guy William Eves, a wonderful botanical artist and tutor on the SBA Diploma. It feels incredibly exciting (and intimidating!) knowing that he will be judging my work. He will also be marking Assignment 2.

In my previous posts I have described the outline drawing required for the first part of the assignment, and the stippled lily for the second part, so I will focus this post on the final part.

I chose to draw a hyacinth, and as I got into planning the composition I realised I wanted to include not just the stem and flower head but also the leaves, and also the bulb and the wonderful roots. Inevitably the piece got far too large and intricate for assignment 1… but I managed to get it finished.

Image

I really liked the composition, and I did enjoy drawing the hyacinth, but I have to say I do find pencils much harder than watercolours (I am dying to reach for my paintbrushes). I struggle with keeping the paper crisp and clean despite all attempts to do so (my drawing board has tracing paper everywhere!)

So below are the final 3 drawings that I sent today, plus a tonal strip and a note to my tutor with a few points, particularly querying the size of my pieces.

IMG_2813

And here they are all ready to be sent!

IMG_2814

This was such an exciting day for me today. Although I’m feeling apprehensive now, I definitely know that I am going to be completely in my element during my year out from my studies. I can’t wait to see what I can come up with for the next assignments.

Now for a breather whist I wait for my feedback before Assignment 2. Perhaps I can start thinking about my subject choice…!

Stippled Lily

For the second part of my first assignment they ask us to use the stippling technique on a flower, stem and leaf. I’ve never stippled before, and after practicing with pencil and pen I decided that pen was much neater, much cleaner and gave a much better result!

For a new technique, I didn’t want to rush straight in to the final piece (something that I am very prone to doing!) I chose to draw a lily for the final stippled piece, so I practiced with a lily also.

Here is my first study, unfinished to show my progress:          (apologies for the poor photographs)

IMG_2696

IMG_2698

I shall post the final stippled piece, along with my thoughts as to how it went and tips on stippling, in my next post!

Dried Roses – Composition

Having seven roses to work with, my next challenge has been to think about a composition. There were so many options. My technique  of creating a painting involves drawing the subject, then using tracing paper to create an ink line drawing. This technique is really useful for planning compositions.

The photograph below shows the penultimate composition:Image

I liked the centre rose facing forward, and having a rose on each side looking out the edge of the page. After that, I wanted to show the different aspects and views of the rose heads. The only view missing from the arrangement in the photograph is seeing the rose head directly from behind. I changed the final composition to incorporate this:Image

I knew I wasn’t satisfied with the stems. I think that the stems are one of the most important parts of this composition, I’ll make sure that I focus on these when it comes to putting the whole thing together.

Image

Society of Floral Painters Assessment

So to update you all on how the assessment day went for the Society of Floral painters… They accepted me, so I am officially a full member! I was very surprised but extremely pleased to get the letter!

They gave me a lot of constructive criticism, but I was grateful for that. I’ve never had my work formally assessed, so it was refreshing to hear how I can improve.

Now to get painting again!

Being spoilt….

I was thoroughly spoilt this weekend by my Mum. I got these amazing flowers through the post. When re-arranging them I thought the hydrangea on its own was so spectacular, I wanted it separate from the rest of the arrangement so I could admire it properly. So it’s in a separate vase and will be going by my bed.

This surprise has made me even more excited to see my parents when they come down for the exhibition – next weekend!
Image

Image

SFP Exhibition Pieces

I have finally got my work back from the framers! Let me know your thoughts! So these are the 3 pieces I will be putting into the Society of Floral Painters exhibition in October. I’m getting really excited about it now…It seems like a long way away still and a long time to wait, but hopefully it’ll fly by!