Jasmine

So, 6 weeks (or so) later I have completed my Jasmine… And most excitingly I have completed all the art diploma work that I will need to whilst also tackling university work; my next assignment (leaves in watercolour) will have my undivided attention!

I thought I would do a short summary of the process of drawing the Jasmine polyanthum. You can see it grow!

ImageImageImage

TWO CLOSE UPS:

ImageImage

THE FINISHED PIECE:

Image

Thank you to everyone on here who gave my advice before starting! I hope you are all satisfied with the result!

Image

 

 

Advertisements

Dried Red Roses

I have begun a new project, 7 dried roses. I got given this bunch of lovely bright red roses from my boyfriend on returning from Africa (I had been there on a placement for 2 months). They have sat in their vase since August, drying out in the hope of creating an interesting subject!

Image

After my practicing, practicing, practicing with the holly, I knew I wanted to do a full piece (with sufficient still practice of course, but not hours and hours!)

Below is my first attempt at the practice flower. In this case a study was essential, because I really had to look hard at the different colours and textures. The photograph of the rose above doesn’t do the dried petals any favours; the golden glow isn’t visible at all! Infact, when I look closely at the subject there is hardly any of that bright red at all – its amazing how different a photograph can appear!

DSC_0115

Next job is to start thinking about a composition, including the other 6 stems!

Virginia Creeper

I have come home, back to Canterbury, for a nice long weekend. And, with little work to do Medicine wise, it was finally time for me to sit down and paint uninterrupted. I noticed the stunning colours in the Virginia Creeper that’s on my Mum’s drive, and so chose this as my subject. Although drawn by the colours… I have started with a study of an unchanged leaf, just to get to grips with the anatomy and get the feel of my paints again! I’ll keep up updating on both the study, and the final piece when I start!

Image

 

Oh, and the smudge at the top right corner – the reason this became a study. That’s what happens when you have your paints too close to where you’re working… Accidently lean on paint, then lean on work. The worst feeling in the world, and why I usually ALWAYS lean on tracing paper!

Society of Floral Painters Assessment

So to update you all on how the assessment day went for the Society of Floral painters… They accepted me, so I am officially a full member! I was very surprised but extremely pleased to get the letter!

They gave me a lot of constructive criticism, but I was grateful for that. I’ve never had my work formally assessed, so it was refreshing to hear how I can improve.

Now to get painting again!

Being spoilt….

I was thoroughly spoilt this weekend by my Mum. I got these amazing flowers through the post. When re-arranging them I thought the hydrangea on its own was so spectacular, I wanted it separate from the rest of the arrangement so I could admire it properly. So it’s in a separate vase and will be going by my bed.

This surprise has made me even more excited to see my parents when they come down for the exhibition – next weekend!
Image

Image

SFP Exhibition Pieces

I have finally got my work back from the framers! Let me know your thoughts! So these are the 3 pieces I will be putting into the Society of Floral Painters exhibition in October. I’m getting really excited about it now…It seems like a long way away still and a long time to wait, but hopefully it’ll fly by! 

Agapanthus in progress.

This is a piece that, again, I have been working on for a while. I was lucky enough to be invited on a wonderful holiday with one of my friends to Tresco, and island in the Isles of Scilly. A beautiful place, and in peak summer Agapanthus are in full bloom.

I decided that these would make a challenging, but wonderful subject. I started with a pencil drawing from life, and then made of copy with tracing paper using a fine ink pen. I like having an ink drawing, as well as the origninal drawing, on tracing paper as not only can I use the drawings again, but I can also superimpose them onto my work as I paint to ‘check’ that everything is going right! The photo is a crop of the entire composition, which includes the long stem, and I potentially may add in some leaves.

Below are two photos of the work in progress. I started with the stems, as I wanted to make sure that they were perfect before I moved onto the flowers and buds.

I hope you like it! I will upload more photos as I go.

Strawberry Study

Today I wanted to do a small study to keep me occupied during the Wimbledon Ladies Final! I chose a strawberry to keep with the Wimbledon theme. I remembered to take photos as I worked this time – but again, I apologise for the quality. I need to find a method of scanning inbetween taking photographs and getting a professional print! Anyway – here it is!

And then the final version of the study…

Dried Hydrangea

 

I have been working on this piece for what feels like a very long time now. I started it in my Easter break, and then haven’t had a chance to sit down and finish it until today. I’m really pleased with how it’s turned out! I love picking unusual subjects, and although I really enjoyed painting this dried hydrangea, my next task will be trying to capture all the beautiful colours in the plant in its prime! Again, the pictures are just taken with my camera, and for some reason the paper appears to be distorted – I can’t wait to head to the printers to get a good print taken – so I apologise for the quality! Hopefully you can still get the idea from these photos. This is the biggest subject and piece that I’ve attempted, so I hope you like it!